Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Canals

If last year's painting trip was about silos, this year it's the canal d'Orleans that's capturing my attention. The canal runs along a section of the Loire river and what I saw today was more than just picturesque, it's a world class feat of 19th century engineering. The "Pont-Canal" in the town of Briere.

These pictures don't do it justice, but picture this: a LONG bridge that spans the Loire and its canal below, and on top of the bridge, instead of a paved surface, it is a canal, yes, full of water, over the water, it's just a wonder to behold.

And here it is from canal level:

It was sweltering hot today, and I finally settled down to do this quick effort at around 6:30 pm.

That was after a long hot day touring around in my car to scout out other sites. Here are some views from the canal at St. Jean de Bray which I hope to get to tomorrow, in the cool of the evening, preferably.



No comments:

Post a Comment