Tuesday, August 11, 2009

West of highway A10

I just had to know...what's the landscape like on the Other side. On the other side of the Highway that goes South from Paris, the A10. So, equipped with my GPS I felt ready to scout out some undiscovered territory. Chartres is over there, but I wasn't committed to driving that far. I would be content to see it rising up on the horizon like a solitary mountain. That's how Jaques Brel describes a similar view in Holland, Le Plat Pays.
Well, you'll have to take my word for it, but there it sits, not exactly a mountain on the horizon, but it is there. ( I know, I know, an Iphone isn't a camera)
But before I got there, first I stopped here to do a painting. A beautiful farm, alot like the many beautiful farms I have seen on MY side of the highway.
Thereatened rain the whole time, but my car strategically placed provided a decent wind break. In general the weather has been quite nice, and I love these immense and moody skies.
I found some of these lovely farmers' lakes, for lack of a real name.

It was a pretty relaxing day, not pushing too hard with the painting, and really enjoying the solitude and the open spaces.

After driving past several groups of modern-day gleaners, I plucked up my courage to stop and ask if I, too, could pick up some potatoes...which ten minutes later resulted in the loveliest bag of tiny new potatoes I ever did glean.


PS I cooked them up for la famille in upper New York State style: Salt Potatoes. Thank you Jennifer!!!! They were delicious.

2 comments:

  1. That is the best weather :-)....I can see from your photo how the orange/red roof is emitting its own light, just from the power of color..
    tiny potatoes. You look so happy, via la France!

    ReplyDelete
  2. French salt potatoes. Almost an oxymoron...
    Love your paintings!

    ReplyDelete